Saturday, May 22, 2010

Swarm Call and a Moral Dilemma


The Avoca School had a swarm on the gymnasium wall at ground level. In their panic, they called 2 beekeepers. When I arrived, beekeeper #1 was already there, trying to brush bees into a hive body. Because the swarm had split into two areas, I offered to scoop up the bees in the second area. My area contained the queen and the bees were soon filing into my swarm box and exiting Matt's hive body.
Who owns these bees, the beekeeper who arrives first, or the one who catches the bees?
Matt should get the bees, but what you can't see in the picture is that these boxes fit into my bee vac and I didn't want to just give them away and I sure didn't want to drive to Wallace to retrieve them.
"You want these bees?" I asked Matt, knowing they should be his. Matt, it turned out was mostly getting the bees as a service to the school. He let me take them. And they moved right into one of my dead hives.
I also received sting #5( hand) and #6(right between the eyes-enough impressing the audience, time to put on the veil and gloves).

No comments:

Post a Comment